Dr. Foster’s publications on microbialites, environmental stress, and more.
35. Foster, JS and JA Lemus (2013) Developing the critical thinking skills of undergraduate students through creative and scientific inquiry. Journal of Geoscience Education in review.
34. Chaturvedi, P., BA Hauser, JS Foster, E Karplus; LH Levine, JL Coutts, JT Richards, ES McLamore (2013) A multiplexing fiber optic microsensor system for monitoring spatially resolved oxygen patterns. Sensors & Actuators: B. Chemical in review.
33. Grant, KC, CLM Khodadad, and JS Foster (2013) Role of Hfq in an animal-microbe symbiosis under simulated microgravity conditions. International Journal of Astrobiology doi:10.1017/S1473550413000359.
32. JHW Saw, M Schatz, MV Brown, D Kunkel, JS Foster, H Schick, S Christensen, S Hou, M Alam, SP Donachie (2013) Cultivation and complete genome sequencing of Gloeobacter kilaueensis sp. nov., from a lava cave in Kīlauea Caldera, Hawai‘i. PLOS ONE 8(10) e76376.
31. Mobberley, JM, CLM Khodadad and JS Foster (2013) Metabolic potential of lithifying cyanobacteria-dominated thrombolitic mats. Photosynthesis Research DOI 10.1007/s11120-013-9890-6. Download Paper
30. Foster, JS, CLM Khodadad, SR Ahrendt and ML Parrish (2013) Impact of simulated microgravity on the normal developmental time line of an animal-bacteria symbiosis. Scientific Reports 3:1340.
29. JS Foster (2012) Impact of microgravity on the physiology and genetics of microbes. Microbiologist 13: 26-20. Download paper
28. Khodadad, CLM and JS Foster (2012) Metagenomic and metabolic profiling of nonlithifying and lithifying stromatolitic mats of Highborne Cay, The Bahamas. PLOS ONE 7(5): e38229.
27. Bowlin, E.M., J. Klaus, J.S. Foster, M.S. Andres, L. Custals, and R.P. Reid (2012) Environmental controls on microbial community cycling in modern marine stromatolites. Sedimentary Geology in press. Download paper
26. Mobberley, J.M., M. Ortega, and Foster, J.S (2012) Comparative diversity analyses of modern marine thrombolites by barcoded pyrosequencing. Environmental Microbiology 14: 82-100.
25. Foster, J.S., and N. Shiel-Rolle (2011) Building scientific literacy through summer science camps: a strategy for design, implementation and assessment. Science Education International 22:85-98.
24. Foster, J.S., Kerney, K.R., Parrish, M.L., Khodadad, C.L.M., and Ahrendt, S.R., (2011) Potential of the Euprymna/Vibrio symbiosis as a model to assess the impact of microgravity on bacteria-induced animal development. Gravitational and Space Biology 25:44-47.
23. Khodadad, C.L.M, A.R. Zimmerman, S. Uthandi, S.J. Green, and J.S. Foster (2011) Taxa-specific changes in soil microbial community composition induced by pyrogenic carbon amendments. Soil Biology & Biochemistry, 43: 385 - 392.
22. Foster, J.S., and S.J. Green (2011) Microbial diversity in modern marine stromatolites. In: Cellular Origin, Life in Extreme Habitats and Astrobiology: Stromatolites (Tewari, V. ed) Springer, Berlin, pp. 385-405. Download paper
21. Reid, P., J.S. Foster, G. Radtke, S. Golubic (2010) Modern marine stromatolites of Little Darby Island, Exuma Archipelago, Bahamas: environmental setting, accretion mechanisms and role of euendoliths. In: Advances in Stromatolite Geology, (Reitner, J; Thrauth, M.H.; Stüwe, K.; Yuen, D., Eds.) Springer, Berlin pp. 77 - 90. Download paper
20. Myshrall, K.L., J.M. Mobberley, S.J. Green, P.T. Visscher, S.A. Havemann, R.P. Reid and J.S. Foster (2010) Biogeochemical cycling and microbial diversity in the modern marine thrombolites of Highborne Cay, Bahamas. Geobiology 8:337-354.
19. Foster, J.S. and J.M. Mobberley (2010) Past, present, and future: microbial mats as models for astrobiological research. In: Cellular Origin, Life in Extreme Habitats and Astrobiology: Microbial Mats: Modern and Ancient Microorganisms in Stratified Systems. (J. Seckbach and A. Oren, eds.) Springer, pp. 563-582.
18. Stolz, J.F., R.P. Reid, P.T. Visscher, A.W. Decho, R.S. Norman, R.J. Aspden, E.M. Bowlin, J. Franks, J.S. Foster, D.M. Paterson, K.M. Przekop, G.J.C. Underwood, and L. Prufert-Bebout (2009) The microbial communities of the modern marine stromatolites at Highborne Cay, Bahamas. Atoll Research Bulletin 567:1-24.
17. Foster, J.S., S.A. Havemann, A.K. Singh, and L.A. Sherman (2009) Role of mrgA in peroxide and light stress in the cyanobacterium Synechocystis sp. PCC 6803. FEMS Microbiology Letters 293:298-304.
16. Foster, J.S., S.J. Green, S.R. Ahrendt, S. Golubic, R.P. Reid, K.L. Hetherington, and L. Bebout. (2009) Molecular and morphological characterization of cyanobacterial diversity in the marine stromatolites of Highborne Cay, Bahamas. ISME Journal 3:573-587.
15. Foster, J.S., and Drew, J.C. (2009). Astrobiology undergraduate education: students' knowledge and perceptions of the field. Astrobiology 9:325-333.
14. Havemann, S. A. and J. S. Foster (2008) A comparative characterization of the microbial
diversity in an artificial microbialite model and a natural stromatolite.
Applied Environmental Microbiology 74: 7410-7421.
13. Foster, Jamie S. and Stephanie A. Havemann (2008) The basics of educational podcasting: enhancing the student learning experience. University of Florida, IFAS EDIS publication MB004
12. Donachie, S., J. Foster, and M. Brown (2007) Culture clash: Challenging the dogma of microbial diversity. ISME Journal 1: 97-102
11. Foster, J.S., A.K. Singh, L.J. Rothschild and L.A. Sherman (2007) Growth-phase dependent differential gene expression in Synechocystis sp. strain PCC 6803 and regulation by a group 2 sigma factor. Archives of Microbiology 187(4):265-79
10. Foster, J.S. and P.E. Kolenbrander (2004) Development of a multi-species oral bacterial community in a saliva-conditioned flowcell. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 70(7): 4340-8.
9. Foster J.S., P.C. Pan, and P.E. Kolenbrander (2004) Effects of antimicrobial agents on oral biofilms in a saliva-coated flowcell. Biofilms 1:3-10.
8. Foster, J.S., R.J. Palmer Jr., and P.E. Kolenbrander (2003) The human oral cavity as a model for the study of genome-genome interactions. Biological Bulletin. 204:200-204.
7. Kolenbrander, P.E., R.F. Lerud, D.S. Blehert, P.G. Egland, J.S. Foster, and R.J. Palmer, Jr. (2003) The role of coaggregation in oral biofilm formation. In: Biofilms in Medicine, Industry and Environmental Biotechnology. Eds. P. Lens, A.P. Moran, T. Mahony, P. Stoodley, V. O’Flaherty. IWA Publishing, London. pp. 32-46.
Link to publication on Amazon.com
6. Kolenbrander, P. E., R.A. Anderson, D.S. Blehert, P.G. Egland, J.S. Foster, and R.J. Palmer Jr. (2002) Communication among oral bacteria. Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews.
5. Foster, J.S., S. von Boletsky, and M.J. McFall-Ngai (2002) A comparison of light organ development between Euprymna scolopes Berry and Sepiola robusta Naef (cephalopod:sepiolidae). Bulletin of Marine Science. 70:141-153.
4. Foster, J.S., M.A. Apicella, and M.J. McFall-Ngai (2000) Vibrio fischeri lipopolysaccharide Induces developmental apoptosis but not complete morphogenesis of the Euprymna scolopes light organ. Developmental Biology. 226:242-254.
3. Visick, K.L., J.S. Foster, J.A. Doino, M.J., McFall-Ngai, and E.G. Ruby (2000) Vibrio fischer lux genes play an important role in colonization and development of the host light organ. Journal of Bacteriology. 182:4578-4586.
2. Foster, J.S. and M.J. McFall-Ngai (1998) Induction of apoptosis by cooperative bacteria in the morphogenesis of host epithelial tissues. Development Genes and Evolution . 208:295-303
1. Doran, P.T., R.A. Wharton Jr., S.A. Spaulding and J.S. Foster (1994) Paleolimnology of Taylor Valley, Antarctica. Antarctic Journal of the United States. 29:234-239
11. Foster, J.S., S.J. Green, S.R. Ahrendt*, K.L. Hetherington, R. Pamela Reid, and L. Bebout (2008) Evidence for redundant cyanobacterial ecotypes in the stromatolites of Highborne Cay, Bahamas. Astrobiology 8:380.
10. Myshrall, K. L., Przekop, K.M. Reid, R.P., Visscher, P.T., Norman, R.S., Foster, J.S., Thompson, J.B., and Bush, A.M. (2008) An evaluation of microbial communities, metabolisms, and community interactions in modern thrombolites in Highborne cay, Exumas, Bahamas. Astrobiology 8:381.
9. Foster, J.S., L.A. Sherman, and L.J. Rothschild (2006) Differential regulation of environmental stress gene under natural solar radiation in the cyanobacterium Synechocystis spp. 6803. Astrobiology 6:111.
8. Foster, J.S., A. Singh, H. Li, L.A. Sherman, and L.J. Rothschild (2004) Gene expression changes associated with oxidative stress in the cyanobacterium Synechocystis sp. PCC 6803. International Journal of Astrobiology Supplement 1:65.
7. Diaz P.I., J.S. Foster, R.J. Palmer, Jr. and P.E. Kolenbrander (2004). Spatial and temporal characterization of early oral biofilms. J Dent Res. 83:A-2729.
6. Foster, J.S., and P.E. Kolenbrander. Spatial organization of oral bacteria in biofilm Communities. Abst. Gen. Meet. Am. Soc. Microbiol. 2003:147.
5. Foster, J.S., P.C. Pan, and P.E. Kolenbrander (2002) Novel assay for testing the effects of antimicrobials on oral biofilms. J of Dent Res 81:A-363.
4. Visick, K.L., J.S. Foster, J.A. Doino, M.J. McFall-Ngai, and E.G. Ruby (2000) Bioluminescence genes of the symbiont Vibrio fischeri are required for normal colonization and development of host Euprymna scolopes light organ. Abst. Gen. Meet. Am. Soc. Microbiol. 2000: 394.
3. Foster, J.S., M.A. Apicella, and M.J. McFall-Ngai (1999) Evidence for multiple signals in the bacteria-induced morphogenesis of the Euprymna scolopes light organ. Developmental Biology 210:237.
2. Foster, J.S. (1998) Bacteria-induced morphogenesis of the Euprymna scolopes light organ. Pacific Science 52:187
Published Images - include those publications where I provided images for the following publications
5. Dusheck, J. (2002) It's the ecology stupid! Nature 418:578-579.
4. Greenwell-Wild, T., N. Vázquez, D. Sim, M. Schito, D. Chatterjee, J.M. Orenstein, and S.M. Wahl (2002) Mycobacterium avium infection and modulation of human macrophage gene expression. Journal of Immunology 169:6286-6297.
3. Donachie, S.P., B.W. Christenson, D.D. Kunkel, A. Malahoff, M. Alam (2002) Microbial community in acidic hydrothermal waters of volcanically active White Island, New Zealand. Extremophiles 6:419-425.
2. Visick, K.L, and M.J. McFall-Ngai (2000) An exclusive contract: specificity in the Vibrio fischeri-Euprymna scolopes partnership. Journal of Bacteriology 182:1779-1787
1. Ruby, E.G. and M.J. McFall-Ngai (1999) Oxygen-utilizing reactions and symbiotic colonization of the squid light organ by Vibrio fischeri. Trends in Microbiology 7:385-424